[dba-SQLServer] Bulk insert

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Jan 13 14:14:32 CST 2007

I am trying to figure out bulk insert in order to import 27 csv files
without using the wizard.  I can and do use the wizard and it imports stuff
flawlessly, but when I use bulk insert, every field is surrounded by "" -
quotes on each side of the data.  I am using FIELDTERMINATOR = "," (which
was the first time it actually allowed the import) and FirstRow = 2 (to get
rid of the CSV field names row).  If I use DataFileType = 'CHAR' or not, the
results appear to be identical.

If I open the data in Wordpad, the data is indeed surrounded by double
quotes "somedata", but if I use the import wizard, the double quotes are
magically stripped out.

Does anyone know the syntax I need to use to import a plain old CSV file,
without ending up with the double quotes surrounding every data item after
the import process?