[dba-SQLServer] Errors importing CSV

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 14 22:04:38 CST 2007

I have several machines.  One machine has SQl Server 2K installed, another
has SQL Server 2005.  I have a bunch of largish csv files, with ~2.1 million
records each which I need to import.  The SQL Server 2K database has always
been able to import these things in the past, in fact still can import a
certain subset of the files, but is consistently getting "missing field
delimiter" at some point in the majority of these files.  What record it
says is bad varies from file to file, but is repeatable (same record) in any
given file.

These same files import just fine in SQL Server 2005, no errors at all.

Is 2005 simply more forgiving, automatically dropping any records which have
missing field delimiters, or is 2K screwing something up?  I have done a
bunch of these imports and suddenly am having problems.  Any file with a
problem always has the problem, and any file that imports successfully will
always import successfully so I suspect that there are actual bad rows in
the files.

IK am using the wizard in all cases, 2K and 2005