[dba-SQLServer] Rolling Back Transactions

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Wed Jan 24 19:44:09 CST 2007

 David,

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/sqlbackup
rest.mspx#ET2AE
Restoring Transaction Log Backups to a Point in Time

Transaction log backups may be restored to a point-in-time. This
functionality is available only through the use of transaction log
backups. There are certain restrictions placed upon using point-in-time
recovery as follows:
*

Point-in-time recovery may not be used in conjunction with
file/filegroup restore. The tail of transaction log has to be applied in
full when recovering file/filegroups from file/filegroup backups. For
more information, see "File/Filegroup Backups" later in this paper.
*

Point-in-time recovery is only available as the last step in a recovery
situation. This means that no further backups may be restored if
point-in-time recovery is used. The database is recovered immediately
even if the NORECOVERY or STANDBY option is specified.

Point-in-time recovery is implemented using the STOPAT option with the
RESTORE LOG Transact-SQL statement. The SQL Enterprise Manager dialog
box shown in Figure 33 is used to perform a point-in-time restore.

This dialog box is displayed when the Point in time restorecheck box is
selected in the dialog box shown in Figure 28.

Select the appropriate date and time to stop the transaction log restore
operation through this dialog box. Once the date time is selected, click
OK to continue with the restore operation.

Note   Since this procedure results in a different ending transaction
after the restore is complete, a full database backup should be
performed before any further transaction log backups.

cheers

Michael M

Group,

SQL2000 - We had a situation where a client ran a procedure that changed
a large number of transactions.  When it was finished she realised that
she made a mistake, and wanted to be able to undo the changes.  No
backup was made of the database just prior the changes of the records
(although we do have earlier backups and transaction logs).

Does SQL have a facility to be able to undo the changes?  I tried
looking through Books Online but could only find restoring from previous
backups and transaction logs.  I couldn't see anything about undoing
transactions, or restoring parts of transaction logs.