[dba-SQLServer] Windows 2003 x64; SQL Server 2005 X64

Robert rl_stewart at highstream.net
Fri Jul 13 12:17:45 CDT 2007

John,

See answers below...

Old server was
Dual PIII 1 ghz, 4 GIG ram

At 12:00 PM 7/13/2007, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:36:22 -0400
>From: "jwcolby" <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com>
>Subject: Re: [dba-SQLServer] Windows 2003 x64; SQL Server 2005 X64
>To: <dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com>
>
>Robert,
>
>Have you done any timing testing for large data sets?

Our largest query is against a current and archive table of Logins.
It has over 32 million records in a union query. on the new server,
it took about 1/10 the time.

>Any "gut feelings" for speed differences?

The first comment was that the Access app that was running
against it was so fast the users might complain. (smile)
I would say overall, about 4 times faster.

>Did you have to purchase a different version of SQL Server or does the 64
>bit come with the 32 bit and "just start working"?

You have to have both x64 Windows and x64 SQL.
They are separate, not just the x32.  Although,
you can install x32 SQL on a x64 OS.

>Or did you get brand new machines with preinstalled software?

We got the software ourselves because we could get it cheaper.