[dba-SQLServer] Source code version control

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Thu Jun 7 13:08:57 CDT 2007

See comments below...

At 12:00 PM 6/7/2007, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 07:04:00 -0400
>From: "Arthur Fuller" <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [dba-SQLServer] Source code version control
>To: dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com
>
>Your general strategy is correct, IMO, but I would be tempted to take it a
>little further into the past, if possible. This depends on the state of your
>backups and available disk space. Think back to milestones of significant
>change and see if you have backups before and immediately after such
>changes. If so, then if I were you, I would start there, and build up a
>history in VSS that culminates in the current build.

Essentially, backup space is unlimited. All instances are the same
except for the importing of accounting information in one of them.
It is the only one doing it. The plan was to have a full export of
DDL for all objects as a baseline. Just not saving them individually.

>So. Two possible situations pertain: do you have VS.NET <http://vs.net/> or
>not?

Yes, I have an MSDN Universal subscription, so I have everything. :-)

We have VSS being used for the ColdFusion stuff now. So that is completely
in place.

Thanks for the pointers.

Robert