[dba-SQLServer] Reciprocity

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri May 11 13:34:31 CDT 2007

Robert,

I do thank you for your assistance. The scripts are way cool from what I can
understand of them.  Please understand that I kind of work from what I need
now to what I need eventually and this appears to be DEFINITELY what I need
eventually.  However I am, as we speak, migrating my VBA code to VB.NET.
That has pretty much captured my entire attention.

Perhaps you do not realize that I am VERY inexperienced in SQL Server, in
fact have only ever written and am using exactly one Sproc.  Thus I am
completely unable to grasp the entirety of what you are trying to
accomplish.  I have not tested this stuff because I don't even know how.  I
understand everything down through the tsysImportDefinition (at least on a
conceptual level), though I do not understand the EXEC sys.SP_BindDefault...
No clue at all there.  vwImportDefColumns not a clue.  pImportCountryFile
not a clue, though I assume that perhaps this is an "example" of using it?
This appears to be the actual meat of the matter but it is so far over my
head that "I'll have to get back to you" on that one.

I have no doubt that whatever it does, it does well, and hopefully I will be
able to use it soon.  As for today.... I just don't have the SQL Server
skills to apply it.

As for "Should I bother with proceeding with the text file read?", I don't
know.  How can I answer that?  You are apparently providing an all SQL
solution to the problem which is really cool, and provides me with example
code of how to do things, which is also really cool, but until I can absorb
it I am not sure I can use it.

If you have the time to explain this stuff, line by line or block by block,
then perhaps yes, let's continue.  I am not stupid, just ignorant.  This
looks like an education in progress.  Of course I am still in first grade.
;-)

I do think this would make a fascinating thread though if you do get down
and explain it.