[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server versus Oracle

Elizabeth.J.Doering at wellsfargo.com Elizabeth.J.Doering at wellsfargo.com
Thu May 31 16:05:39 CDT 2007

Thanks Gary, Fred and John!  Fortunately for me, I was rescued by a very
knowledgeable sounding Security-type who has a foot firmly in both
worlds and was able to bring sense to the meeting.  The reporting folks
do win, in that they get their data into Oracle, but the project and I
win, too, in that it seems clear that 1) An Oracle guru is not necessary
to organize a push of data from SQL Server and 2) We don't need to
purchase a new server just for the relatively small amount of data we
are talking about here.  So everyone is happy, especially me, as I am no
longer being asked to act the roles of all the geeks Gary mentioned.

BTW, at least some of the reporting folks are using Access as a front
end on their other Oracle tables. :)  Their big beef was that pulling
from two sources would make Access run slower......

Liz