[dba-SQLServer] Compacting a data file

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Nov 13 08:22:08 CST 2007

I made the foolish mistake of asking SQL Server to compact a large (200GB)
file using "reorganize pages".  This is a static table with about 40% empty
space and I foolishly thought this might be a good thing to do.  OK FINE, I
WAS FOOLISH ALRIGHT!  8-(

I started it last night about 6:00 pm and as of this morning at 9:17 AM it
is still chugging away.  Does anyone know whether this will actually finish
some day and further whether that someday will be today or next January?
Fast server, lots of memory, fast disk.  LOTS of CPU activity (50% of two
cores).

This is a database that I need to get some work done on.