[dba-SQLServer] Shrink file - Reorganize pages before releasing unused space

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Nov 29 12:45:55 CST 2007

Does anyone know if this process is done "in place", i.e. if it is similar
to a defrag on a hard disk where the existing file is used and data inside
of the file is simply moved around?  Or is the data in the file copied out
into a new file?  I started this running and wile it claims to be working
(the little "executing" ring is going round) I do not see any indication
that the available disk space on any system drive is changing.