[dba-SQLServer] Unable to open billing database

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Apr 14 09:19:46 CDT 2008

Well... I have to say "I don't think so".  The problem is that this is
Vista, and I do not yet understand Vista.

Let's take some examples:

I tried to unzip a file directly into a directory in the C: drive of
this machine.  The unzip failed saying that it was read-only.  I copied
the zip to my documents directory and could unzip it there.  I had to
ask permission to copy the unzipped contents back to that directory.

OTOH, I have an Access database FE in the same directory that I am
trying to run this SQL Server DB from.  I can open that MDB and modify
it, so that mdb file is not read-only and I have permission to do that.

The folder itself is marked read-only from the properties window.  When
I tell it to set it to not read-only it goes off without complaint to
start marking all the files and folders underneath that directory as not
read-only, but the folder itself is still read-only when it is done.

So I don't have a clue what Vista / SQL Server is doing in this case.
What I do know is that if I move the files off to a thumb drive they
will attach just fine so it is SOMETHING about the C: drive in particular.