[dba-SQLServer] Getting a connection and SQL 2005 security

Jim Lawrence jlawrenc1 at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 9 13:04:09 CST 2008

Hi All:

I have been trying to get a new site with MS SQL 2005 connecting to a
DotNetNuke application.

In the last 2 days I have learned more about MS SQL 2005 security and am
starting to realize that what was easy on MS SQL 2000 is not as straight
forward.

I have not been able to:

1. Setup an appropriate connection string within the DotNetNuke product. I
can connect to the database using the ODBC application (Start > Control
Panel > Administration Tools > Data Sources (ODBC)) very easily. There is a
way to create a 'connection string text file' from this app but just can not
remember the method...???

2. Setup security and users, using both Windows Authentication and SQL
Server mode, with TCP/IP and named pipes and remote login. Grant the
appropriate rights... etc

There must be a simple straight forward methodology and documentation that
can be followed as doing little tweaks and mode can only get me so far. (Now
that I have been setting connection strings in my sleep, over and over, when
I have been able to sleep it is time to ask for some expert help.)

It is probably a small piece that I have overlooked but is a show-stopper.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Jim