[dba-SQLServer] Views on Views

Jim Lawrence jlawrenc1 at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 19 22:07:24 CDT 2008

Hi Arthur:

I would try and keep it as simple as possible as there can be tremendous
over-head with this direction as well as some very complex class-like
inheritance and reciprocal loops that can come back to bite.

I do not have much experience with MS SQL and Views but I am familiar with
apps such as Cognos and Discoverer, both Oracle products that are built on
top of views on top of views.

These programs are created to make managers feel that they can easily
generate any reports but never have I seen products that can grind Oracle
Enterprise, with 'state-of-the-art' hardware, to its knees faster or
actually freeze a site all-together.

After all that is said, it should be safe in the hands of a good IT guy,
like yourself but definitely be judicious.

Jim