[dba-SQLServer] Views versus derived tables versus table UDFs

Asger Blond ab-mi at post3.tele.dk
Mon Jun 30 16:58:11 CDT 2008

Also notice SQL Server's strategy for execution plan caching.
Execution plans are saved in the cache whether you use ad hoc queries,
views, udfs, or sprocs. But ad hoc queries, views, and udfs will normally
outdate sooner from the cache than sprocs will. Only for sprocs SQL Server
records the cost of query compilation and if the query in your sproc is
reasonably complex, then the execution plan will survive longer in the cache
than an equivalent ad hoc query, view, or udf.
For that reason I normally would prefer sprocs.
But of course plan caching is only one factor affecting performance.
Implementing sprocs you still have to decide whether your sproc should query
tables, views, udfs, or perhaps make use of the new CTEs (Common Table
Expressions).
For this I too would appreciate experiences/recommendations/opinions.

Asger