[dba-SQLServer] Mirrored servers

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Mar 13 11:03:37 CDT 2008

Hi John

Sounds like replication to me.
Can't you set that up from the SQL Manager?

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 13-03-2008 16:59 >>>
I have two servers running Windows 2003 and SQL Server 2005.  I would like
to be able to have identical databases on both and work on both
simultaneously, iow "keep them in sync".  If I update a table on ServerA I
need it to update on ServerB.  If I update a table on ServerB I need it to
update on ServerA.

Is this possible?  I do a fair amount of SQL Server stuff now and it is all
running on ServerA.  If it dies, then whatever I did is not on ServerB even
though Server B is capable.  If I somehow cause it to mirror stuff over to
ServerB and then it dies, I could work on ServerB, but when I got ServerA
working again, now I need to get the information synced back to ServerA.

I have read a little about "failover" but that is not precisely what I am
looking for.  I would like to be able to run jobs on ServerA, then while
that is running, run jobs on ServerB.  When each finishes, the results need
to post back to the other server.

Is what I am trying to do possible, and if so where can I go to learn how to
set it up.