[dba-SQLServer] Diving off the deep end

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Mar 20 07:57:13 CDT 2008

I THINK THAT WE NEED TO BACK UP A FEW STEPS.  If you will be patient with me
I think I can get at least a result fairly quickly but the examples given
assume a knowledge that I don't have.  For example, suppose I want to use
the right function.  In the query window (not knowing anything about what I
am doing) I type in:

Right("hello",2)

Expecting to get back "lo"

I "compile" that and immediately get back an error message:

Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'right'.

As you can see, what we have here (to quote a certain Steve McQueen movie)
is a failure to communicate.

I look up right() in BOL and it shows exactly what I have typed in, but I am
obviously expected to know something else.

So what is it that I am expected to know?