[dba-SQLServer] Copy a database using a store procedure or function

James Barash James at fcidms.com
Tue Mar 25 13:40:23 CDT 2008

John:

If you only need to copy the design of the database but not the data, you
can use the scripting wizard to create a script of all the objects and use
that to make the new database. If you are using SQL Server 2005, Right-Click
on the database, select Tasks -> Generate Scripts. Then you can choose to
script all the objects, including Tables, Views, Stored Procedures, UDF,
Users, etc; or you can choose individual objects. Once you've created the
script, add the appropriate Create Database statement at the top and save
the script to a file and you will be able to build as many database as you
need from the same template.
Hope this helps.

James Barash