[dba-SQLServer] Copy a database using a stored procedure or function

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Mar 26 12:20:11 CDT 2008

Hi John, Robert, Paul et al

We use SQL Server as a data store and not as an "application". I'm a firm believer that only low-level logic should be handled by the engine while any high-level business-rule-style logic belongs to a middle-tier or the frontend or - if that is not possible - should be fully maintained by and controlled from either of these. One reason for this is exactly what you are arguing about, that it takes a life's work to become an excellent T-SQL programmer and neither I nor the company I work for can allocate such resources.

Also, this discussion reminds me of the days of DOS. I cannot count how many batch files I wrote in the eighties and nineties for just about anything including full screen login systems for NetWare and sophisticated menu systems. PC Magazine in those days had a column of advanced batch programming often beyond belief. I've kept it all somewhere, but since Windows 95 arrived it has never been used and users stopped requesting such services. I will never be used again, but this is where I understand John; when I go to that SQL editor it is close to typing in Edlin - you only miss the piping! Wow, that was great (wiping a small tear).
When you move to VS and its great environment you feel the difference.

Having worked with the manager of version 6.5 years back, however, the current manager represents a vast improvement, and it is quite nice that you can run it together with Visual Studio which overlaps quite a lot while you have the same look and feel.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 26-03-2008 16:40:56 >>>
Robert,

Making judgments about what I do for a living is unhelpful and in fact
downright inappropriate.  Peoples careers range from terrorists to Catholic
bishops.  I don't see you becoming a priest.  ONE thing that I do is a
database for a company that sells address lists to companies that send bulk
mail.  I also write databases for non-profit organizations that help parents
of children with disabilities.  And many other databases.  I am not killing
people, I am filling a very valid request of a very valid company.

Bitching, yea I am guilty.

To say that I do not know what the previous versions are like is not true
and beside the point.  I know what dbaseII was like in 1985 and I expect the
tools 23 years later to be superior (in user interface).  SQL Server
(interface) is BARELY superior to dbase II in a few areas and much worse in
others.  You can make excuses for the tool all you want, it still SUCKS.
Call it bitching if you want, I am simply calling your favorite spade a
spade.  It SUCKS.  Alright?  Not complaining, simply stating the obvious.
Having spent your entire adult life working in it may make it SEEM (to you)
like it doesn't SUCK but, in fact, it SUCKS.

Now, if you wish to take offense at my stating that the tool sucks, have at.
Notice that Gustav pretty much also stated that the tool (interface) sucks.
Rant at him a bit why don't you.

The emperor has no clothes, though he remains a pretty powerful emperor.