[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server not in list of servers

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 13 12:16:04 CDT 2008

Francisco,

It turns out that there was an instance of SQL Server Express (x32)
installed by Visual Studio.  Not needing that (and since that was listed
as an available server) I uninstalled that.  Now the job at least begins
to run (no error message about the destination server being unavailable)
but it does not complete.

The only firewall on the server is the Windows Firewall, which is
disabled.  This is Stonehenge, trying to run a job on Stonehenge, said
job to copy a database from StoneHenge to Stonehenge with a rename (copy
to different name).  I have been using this technique in x32 SQL Server
for many months now.

Now the job runs but gives an error on the last step saying that the job
failed and check the event log.  There is a Error entry in the event log
  but the error message is useless (package xxx failed) and the help
lookup returns "no additional information".

There is an additional warning AFTER the error which basically says "the
job failed, last step run was step 1".  Help lookup returns "no
additional info".

No idea where to turn at this point.  It is "just a simple copy".
However between now and back when it used to work I have completely
reinstalled the Windows (to x64) and SQL Server (x64) and of course my
user, though I am using the same username, password and machine name.

All of my databases reside out on a RAID array / volume.  I unattached
all databases before the reinstall, and then reattached them after.  I
can see the database being copied.  I can open the database, open views
and see data etc.  I just can't copy the database to a new database /
name, which is what I do to get a new "blank" order database set up.

Not good.