[dba-SQLServer] confirmation about DBCC CHECKIDENT

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Wed May 28 13:36:50 CDT 2008

I'm running some test DBCC CHECKIDENT statements. Now, the documentation
says that you can't create a duplicate identity value if the identity column
is part of a primary key -- says doing so will return a violation error.
Therefore, I expected the DBCC CHECKIDENT statement to return the error,
when this was the case, but it didn't. Of course, when I tried to insert a
new record, I got the violation error, which I expected.

I was expecting the DBCC CHECKIDENT to return some kind of error or warning,
but it didn't.

Just checking to make sure that IS how it's supposed to work.

Susan H.