[dba-SQLServer] Startup Message

Darryl Collins Darryl.Collins at coles.com.au
Mon Nov 17 19:49:52 CST 2008

Hi Guys and Gals,

Curious about the startup messagebox you get when you fire up SQL Server (or at least I get it here at work).  I get a box (RUN AS) which prompts which account I want to use.  Our LAN and SQL Logins are the same so I always choose the top option (Current User).

My question is what is the value of the check box underneath that?  We always just untick it and go.  Leaving it ticked says it will protect your data and computer, but then adds a rather un-nerving disclaimer that leaving this option ticked may cause your program to malfunction - I mean, where is the benefit in that?

Clearly this must have some use (or this is MS - so maybe not).  Can anyone shine some light onto this tickbox and why it is (or isn't) needed and/or useful?

cheers
Darryl.

This email and any attachments may contain privileged and confidential information
and are intended for the named addressee only. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail immediately. Any
confidentiality, privilege or copyright is not waived or lost because this e-mail
has been sent to you in error. It is your responsibility to check this e-mail and
any attachments for viruses.  No warranty is made that this material is free from
computer virus or any other defect or error.  Any loss/damage incurred by using this
material is not the sender's responsibility.  The sender's entire liability will be
limited to resupplying the material.