[dba-SQLServer] Logical reads/writes

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 19:15:42 CDT 2008

Arthur,  I'm assuming that you've answered your own question via Google, but
in case you hadn't and since I haven't seen any responses to this message
I'd thought I'd post an answer...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa224763(SQL.80).aspx

<snip>
Data is read from the database disk files into the buffer cache. Multiple
logical reads of the data can be satisfied without requiring that the data
be physically read again. The data remains in the cache until it has not
been referenced for some time and the database needs the buffer area to read
in more data. Data is written back to disk only if it is modified. Data can
be changed multiple times by logical writes before a physical write
transfers the new data back to disk.
</snip>

so yes to answer your question a logical read is read from memory as opposed
to disk.