[dba-SQLServer] Trials and tribulations - Install of SQL Server 2008

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Dec 16 15:40:49 CST 2009

What a pita this is.  Two failures.

I had renamed the sa account and the install failed IN THE MIDDLE because somewhere along the line
it needed to use that user in the install process.  You would think they would check for that user
BEFORE starting the upgrade.

Then the Visual Studio install of the compact edition is named something that throws the SQL Server
2008 install for a loop.

It turns out that the "sa user missing" was just insurmountable.  I was apparently supposed to know
what the sa had been renamed to, but I didn't use that account and so had no clue.  I ended up just
deleting sql server entirely and started from scratch.  Which is a royal pita because I had done
some major tweaking to get the old "server hangs" issue to go away.  I THINK I MIGHT know what to
tweak if I ever get this thing to install correctly.

5 hours later and I am just finishing the uninstall and beginning a new install.

I do so love this job sometimes.