[dba-SQLServer] SPAM-MED: dba-SQLServer Digest, Vol 71, Issue 6

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 15:10:22 CST 2009

Robert,  I found out later that John does not subscribe to the sql list,
that's too bad.  But this is an interesting topic as I did verify my version
of Visual Studio 2005 and it is PRO thus why I have the debug option for the
stored procedures (something nobody tells you until you are derailed while
trying to debug.)  In Visual Studio 2008 I have the standard edition and
found myself in the same boat as Colby which is no debugger :(, quite
frustrating because I received this copy from MS for their 2008 launch
event, why would they give you Sql Server 2008 w/o a debugging utility?  I
mean really if you are a DBA you'd want that tool, so instead of just a Sql
License they are pinching you for two licenses!

STILL... M$ does continue to have the best IDE out there so I guess I should
not complain too loudly.

BTW, I have used Refractor which is a very cool tool.  and I do use Sql
Prompt, which is way nice.  Refractor turned out to be an excellent tool for
my other DBA here, whom never seems to organize his sprocs / views into
readable formats... thus Refractor has been a very very good tool to help
his coding style.

Do others here use similar Sql Tools?