[dba-SQLServer] Raid for reliability on SSDs

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Jun 13 19:00:06 CDT 2009

I have a very unique situation which I have discussed in other emails.  The situation is that I have
a SQL Server database where I intend to place just cover indexes (assuming I can do that) into
database files out on a RAID of SSDs.  The main database tables will continue to reside on a normal
raid 6 array.

My question is, if I have the original READ-ONLY data tables on a raid 6 array, and I am just
building cover indexes into a RAID of SSDs, is it necessary to use a "redundant" array, or can I
just go RAID 0 with no redundancy.  SSDs are still quite expensive and if I could go with 2 or 3
120g SSDs RAID 0 I would get much better read speed and more volume size than if I used the same
number of drives RAID 5.  IOW if a drive fails so what?  The table used to generate the cover index
sits out on a fully protected RAID 6 array.