[dba-SQLServer] Installing SQL Server 2005 developer on a machine with SQL Server 2005 express edition

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 18:35:36 CDT 2009

Doug,  Sorry for the late reply, but I've been tied up most of the day...It
won't upgrade, the installer will instead put you through the process of
installing developer as an instance.  There is nothing wrong with this, as
it's done by design so you can have multiple instances running on one
server, it helps with keeping things separate.  Express has a few
limitations and it's almost worth uninstalling in lieu of developer as
developer behaves like the enterprise edition (OS limitations apply).