[dba-SQLServer] Another good one from Francisco

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:45:38 CDT 2009

Blat is great for Sql Server 2000 simply because you can implement email for
your server without also installing Outlook.  I just don't like Outlook as
an email client.  It is buggy for me, and has always caused me pains.  With
Google's Desktop Search (or Vista's indexing search) I was finally able to
get a hold of all my email vs the sloooooow email search from Outlook.
I personally would NOT use the blat solution on a Sql Server 2005 system.
 Database Mail is sooo much easier and nicer to use.  Blat is a great tool
for any of your legacy 2000 systems.  Here were I work at I have a mixture
of Sql Server 2000 / 2005 and (recently 2008) servers.  The 2000 servers at
this point are not ready to be retired, the hardware is still under warranty
and has plenty of redundancy.  However, Email is required from these systems
and I've been using Blat for a number of years on these systems :).