[dba-SQLServer] Read-only databases?

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:20:58 CDT 2009

Yup,  We deal with large databases on a regular basis here now, our largest
is 1.5 tb and MS backups for this would be too big.  So my schedules are,
weekends kick off a full backup, and weekly I kick off a Differential
backup, w/ transaction log backups kicking off whenever the logs hit about
60% of it's full size.  I dig Red-Gate products, I was turned on to it by a
college who was trying to move data and schema changes to another server,
but had different schemas and data in each set.  I checked out Sql Compare
first about 3 years ago, and have been a customer ever since.  Currently I
also use the sql-prompt 3.0 product, though when I connect to the 1.5
terabyte databases I need to turn it off or the caching of all 64k tables
will kill it's productivity.  Several other databases that we have are shy
of 800gb and have maybe about 24k tables and with those sql-prompt works
just fine.  I recently took a look at their Sql-Documentor and that is a
great tool!