[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server 2005 unresponsive

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Sep 4 10:55:48 CDT 2009

I am looking for a little information about an issue I have with my SQL Server 2005 instance which
becomes unresponsive when a long running job from Access occurs.

I have a set of stored procedures that builds a table, imports 2 million record files into an import
table, appends that to the main table, then when all the 2 million record files are imported, starts
building up indexes.  Something is happening (one of these index builds I suspect) that causes
Access to "go away" and when this happens SQL Server "goes away" as well.

Access goes "not responding" which makes sense given the single threading nature of VBA, however the
server goes unresponsive as well.  In fact I tried to get the database properties for the database
being worked in and got a blue screen.  I cannot prove that the blue screen was caused by SQL Server
but... that was the last thing I did before the blue screen.

So fine, I opened another instance of management studio so that I could go build an index in a
completely different db / table.  That instance of Management studio took a looooooonnnnnggggg time
even opening.  Expanding the database normally is instantaneous.  ATM it takes many seconds.
Likewise expanding the tables, etc.  Each step which normally "just happens" takes a much longer time.

Is this normal behavior?  The server is a quad core (AMD) with 16 gigs of ram, with 12 gigs assigned
to SQL Server.  I would have thought that SQL Server would allow multiple things to occur quickly.