[dba-SQLServer] HELP, server completely unresponsive

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 28 20:22:40 CDT 2009

When browsing for network servers from another machine, I normally see about a half dozen servers
which includes Azul (the SQL Server that is currently locked up).  ATM I can see all of the other
servers but not AZUL so it is not answering up, at least not in time to be counted.

It is still "processing" the query I started this AM.  11:23:15 and counting.  All of this to set a
field in 20 million records based on values in about 5 other fields, all of these other fields in an
index.  The target field is not indexed (yet).  It should never take this long.  This operation
normally takes about an hour.  But I know of no way to regain control of the server short of
rebooting, and if I do that I will likely corrupt the database being written to.