[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server 2008 - Changes made

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 02:40:36 CST 2010

Hello Martin,

When you mention Alter Table, are you suggesting that instead of using the
GUI, to instead issue the direct DDL command.  If so, what you are saying is
that alter Table can modify the table without dropping and re-creating, but
the GUI cannot be as clever?  Poor show by the GUI developers if thats the
case.

If the above is correct then may I mention here a handy tip.  Have two
instances of the db (or even a bak file) and then using one of the sql diff
tools, that will generate a script that will give you the full required
tsql.  I guess the only thing to watch is does the sql diff tool also drop
the table and create.

Thanks

Mark