[dba-SQLServer] 2008 backup / restore scripts

Bobby Heid bheid at sc.rr.com
Mon Jan 18 20:10:38 CST 2010

John,

BACKUP DATABASE [db] TO  DISK = N'C:\Path\db.bak'
	WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT,  NAME = N'Some description',
	SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD, COMPRESSION,  STATS = 10
GO

I let SSMS 2008 generate this for me.  What I did was:
1) Right-click on the db you want to backup
2) Choose Tasks\Backup...
3) Under the options (list on left hand side), select the 'Set backup
compression' (lower right) and change the dropdown to compression.
4) Then at the top of the backup window, you'll see a dropdown that says
'Script'.  Select 'Script action to new query window'  (or one of the other
options) and it will create the script for you.

This can be done with many of the options in SSMS.

Bobby