[dba-SQLServer] Call for Development

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Mar 25 22:56:46 CDT 2010

Randy,

 > I am all for writing/developing custom sites, but would you consider using an off-the-shelf
(open-source) package like Joomla or umbraco?

Well, let me lay out a couple of considerations:

1) This is eventually going to be heavy custom programming.
2) One of my objectives is to provide myself (and you guys) an opportunity to learn ASP.Net
3) I have until around the November time frame to get the basics up.

My functionality objectives are:

1) Accumulate a list of PIP graduate contact info and get it into a database.
2) Allow PIP graduates the ability to edit their own data so that as they move around they can keep
their own data up to date.  PIP graduates need to be able to email and call each other and not drop
off the planet because they move.
3) Allow someone (management) the ability to blast emails out to focused email lists.  For example
all of the PIP graduates in a given state might need to send emails to the legislators for their
states based on the zip they reside in.
4) Allow someone to blast out a similar set of emails to the entire list of PIP graduates about
legislation before congress.
5) Allow opt-out

6) Eventually accumulate a similar email / contact list for a wider audience of basically anyone
with a stake in the disability issue - persons with or caretakers of persons with a disability.  IOW
if legislation is before congress and I have a quarter million people who have signed up to receive
notices and send emails, the system would sent emails to all quarter million people.  The email
would have a link back to the web page server to a page where they could compose and send an email
to their specific legislator.

7) Eventually allow some group of users to monitor legislation and organize the email blasts as
legislation comes up for a vote.

I want to emulate the functionality of http://consumer-action.org/ except designed for a disability
group rather than a consumer group.

So, I would certainly consider a canned package IF it was:

1) Windows based, because I am Windows based and I don't have access to people with the expertise to
write this on a linux platform.
2) .Net based, because I am .Net based and I don't have access to people with the expertise to write
this in a non .net platform.
3) Able to easily integrate the kinds of functionality I am discussing above.

This is not going to be a "public facing pretty web site" but rather a workhorse web site which is
less about people visiting and more about executing jobs.  Or at least that is my take on things at
this juncture.

I understand "select the best tool for the job" but in the end this is my project (in that it is up
to me to make it succeed) and I need to select tools that I can use to get the job done, and which I
can find people familiar with those tools.

So yes, I am not discounting any off-the-shelf solution if it meets the workhorse needs.  I
personally run DNN on my company web site (though it desperately needs maintenance) and I absolutely
LOVE it for that kind of job.  OTOH trying to hook into it is not for the faint of heart.

If you are intimately familiar with one or more of these packages and think it fits the bill, please
come back with a discussion.