[dba-SQLServer] Dynamic SQL

David Lewis David at sierranevada.com
Thu May 20 09:51:18 CDT 2010

Hi John:  A few questions about how you do things:

If I understand your first example correctly, you have database per client (is this one large table, or is it a full-blown relational db with many tables, etc.?).  You extract subsets of records repeatedly from that large table.  To do this you build a query (the view), which you use to populate a table (SubTable1).  From that table you select a subset (SubTable1_a), and later you may select another subset (SubTable1_b).  Each of these subsets you persist as physical tables.
In this example, why build the physical table (SubTable1)) when the virtual table (the view) will do the same thing?  The subsets of the table (SubTable1_a and _b) that are actually sent on to the client can be thought of as 'WHERE xyz=123' clauses to the view that was originally used to populate SubTable1, no?  If you kept a record of the where clauses, with other pertinent information, such as date, client, etc., you could reproduce the recordsets at will, and would not need to physically store the data, neither as SubTable1 or as its children _a or _b.

I guess the essence of my question is why is it necessary to build a physical table, when you have a virtual table?

d lewis

Message: 2