[dba-SQLServer] Clustered Index first or last

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 23 13:58:37 CDT 2010

When I build my 65 million record table, I almost always create a clustered index, with the key
being the PK which is an autonumber integer.

In the past I always inserted the records, then built the index.  However if the records are
inserted in sorted order on the PKID, which is in ascending order, is there any reason not to create
the clustered index and then insert the records.  Since the key is ascending each new record should
go at the end, no shuffling around to put things in the middle.

It seems I would actually *save* time doing it that way.

Yes, or no?