[dba-SQLServer] Question Concerning Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Prerequisites

Alan Lawhon lawhonac at hiwaay.net
Tue Aug 16 04:47:49 CDT 2011

This is my first post to the dba-sqlserver list, (and I am a total "noobie"
to SQL Server), so I hope no one will consider this a dumb question.

I have decided to study for and pursue certification in Microsoft's SQL
Server 2008 R2 database platform.  My previous work experience was primarily
in Access development with some Visual Basic coding.  I have virtually no
SQL Server experience.  Thanks to a recommendation from Susan Harkins, I
plan to download and install SQL Server 2008 R2 (the free "Express" edition)
and learn all I can using that tool along with books and study guides.  My
initial plan is to study for (and pass) exam 70-432, "TS: Microsoft SQL
Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance," followed by exams 70-433 and
70-448.  (After obtaining those three certifications, hopefully I can find a
job because poverty sucks!)

One of the first resources I have discovered is Microsoft's online eBook
"Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2" by Ross Mistry and Stacia Misner.
In chapter 1 of Ross and Stacia's book, (i.e. "SQL Server 2008 R2 Editions
and Enhancements"), under subsection "SQL Server 2008 R2 Enhancements for
DBAs," the following quotation appears in the final sentence of the second
paragraph on page 3:

<begin quotation>

Enhancements to scalability and performance, high availability, enterprise
security, enterprise manageability, data warehousing, reporting,
self-service BI, collaboration, and tight integration with Microsoft Visual
Studio 2010, Microsoft SharePoint 2010, and SQL Server PowerPivot for
SharePoint make it the best database platform available.

<end quotation>

My question concerns the three Microsoft products mentioned in that
sentence, specifically "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, Microsoft SharePoint
2010, and SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint."  Is knowledge and
experience with these three products taken for granted - an assumed
prerequisite - prior to pursuing a SQL Server certification?  (I have no
knowledge or experience with any of these three products - I don't even know
what SharePoint is - or what SharePoint does.)  As far as PowerPivot is
concerned, I think that has something to do with Excel spreadsheets.  My
prior experience with Excel was limited to converting (and copying over)
spreadsheet data to Access tables.  Is a detailed knowledge of these three
Microsoft technologies required (or assumed) as a prerequisite to pursuing a
SQL Server certification?

TIA.  (I suspect this is going to be the first of many questions.)

Alan C. Lawhon