[dba-SQLServer] Users in SQL Server

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Dec 5 11:21:36 CST 2011

Our (or at least my) problem is that MS is not spending enough time on the GUI.  When I realized I
needed to get the users and their rights out of the database into the server, I tried to click /
hold / drag and drop the user from the database security area into the server security area.

Makes sense right?

We have been dragging and dropping for 15 years now in Windows, longer than that in the MAC world.
Visual Studio and C# uses drag and drop, Access uses drag and drop.  But no, in SQL Server we have
to go figure out how this stuff even works, then how to use command line or query crap to type in
arcane syntax into a dev environment that basically gives you a "didn't work, try again" error
message if anything goes wrong.

Microsoft is trying to position SQL Server Express as the data store of choice for programmers in
DotNet as well as Access.  Well I got news for somebody, making me learn to be a DBA and type in
command line crap on top of that just so that I can use their SQL Server Express is pretty much a
non-starter.

Some of it is drag and drop of course, in terms of building tables and views.  However even there I
have to go to a query window and haul out the books (memorized now) to drop or add a column from a
table with very much data.  Done from the gui it times out.  This kind of stuff just drives me crazy.

And of course this has nothing whatsoever to do with any individual on this list, except to say that
trying to tell a noob to RTFM just adds to the frustration.

I have built a very sophisticated system in C# which is used to process literally 300 million
records a month, BCP out to CSV, through a 3rd party system and back in to SQL Server.  In order to
build this system I had to learn and integrate together many different systems from Windows Server
2008 and SQL Server 2008 to virtual machines to the third party software, learn C# and SQL Server,
actually architect the thing, write C# and oversee a developer writing the code and get it all
working.

I have learned an enormous amount about SQL Server but I am not even close to DBA level and I don't
want to be, I don't have time to be and I shouldn't have to be.  And if MS would make it a priority
to make SQL Server more GUI for more things I would not need to be.

 > Jumping around the way you do is your choice, (glad you have one).

Well... sometimes we slide sideways into stuff.  I got this client when I was desperate for work,
the economy was in the tank and this work was there.  I took it, and I actually quite enjoy it but
it is hardly a "choice" to do all this jumping around.  The volunteer work is a choice of course but
the work is what I found and what I needed to do to get the work done.

I actually quite enjoy the whole thing.  I needed to learn C# and I have / am.  Learning about SQL
Server, even as little as I know is a god send from a career perspective.  I work for small
businesses where they need SQL Server but cannot afford a DBA, and wouldn't have enough work to keep
one busy.  Being able to "do the basics" allows me to do things in my career that otherwise wouldn't
be possible, and provide my clients with SQL Server where they otherwise wouldn't be able to have that.

I love what I do and the freedom of being a consultant, and if MS would just make some things gui
I'd be an even happier camper.

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it