[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server security

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jan 5 12:40:09 CST 2011

Dan,

 > SQL Server 2005 Express has a capacity of 4 Gb.  I think I remember that 1.5 GB in Access might
be larger in SQL Server - someone else probably knows.

Yep, and yep.  Actually AFAICT the preliminary import of Access into SQL Server gives me a SQL
Server database file that is slightly smaller than the compacted access be file.

 > SQL Server 2008 R2 Express has a capacity of 10 Gb.

Yes, but it won't run on Windows 2000.  SQL Server 2005 will.

 > Typing data into a memo field will lock one page of records, even if you're using Access 2000+
and have set your mdb for Record-Level Locking.

Yep, one of many issues with Access as the sizes get larger.  I am hoping that SQL Server express
will solve these for me.