[dba-SQLServer] Upsizing

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 9 15:51:43 CST 2011

Hi All:

I know that Upsizing has been discussed at certain points but I now have to
do a quick and dirty upgrade before I can seriously translate a site to
ADO-OLE.

Right now the client has an Access2003 application sitting on a Windows
Server 2003 or 2008 (not sure yet). There is a SQL Server 2005 on the
computer. Due to some bizarre unstable connection issues we have to move
things up and quickly.

The current application is broken into FE and BE.

1. Should the FE and BE be merged before running the upsizing or not?
2. Will all the queries and reports have to be manually updated?
3. Is there anyway to modify the Upsize generated SQL connections to point
to another SQL server?
4. Is there a better way to do this process than using the Upsize wizard?
5. Is there any other issues that should be handled or looked out for?

TIA
Jim