[dba-SQLServer] Contiguous Time Periods

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Jan 11 10:53:20 CST 2011

Hi John

Thanks, this is always an interesting topic, but I don't understand why he waits so long introducing the option of using the id of the previous time recording as the foreign key in a self-referencing table. And by using dates only in favour of timestamps, he enables all sorts of errors which could be cut off if time was included.

But I'm not a T-SQL guy and probably never will be. I prefer to keep this sort of mechanics outside the database and not write anything until properly validated.

/gustav

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/t-sql-programming/contiguous-time-periods/?utm_source=simpletalk&utm_medium=email-main&utm_content=TimePeriods-20101130&utm_campaign=SQL