[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server Security - from Server / From workstation

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jul 25 16:47:50 CDT 2011

I am setting up a SQL Server at the client.  The OS is Windows 2000 so my choice is SQL Server 2005
Express - SQL Server 2008 won't run on Windows 2000.  Sigh already!

When I view the server security from the server I see a ton of logins including all of the server
logins such as ASPNet, NT Authority \System and so forth.  I also see an sa, DiscoAdmin and
DiscoApp.  I created the DiscoAdmin and DiscoApp.  I have created several databases.  Several are
required because of the max file size throttling on SQL Server 2005.

I created tables in the databases and I can see them from SSMS.  I can also use ODBC linked tables
to link to the tables from my Access application.  This is all from the server.

 From my workstation, I am managing to see the server and databases.  I can do everything I can do
from the server except see the tables from the Access application.  If I click on the links it says
they are not available.

Also oddly, while I do see the SERVER DiscoAdmin login from my workstation I cannot see the
DiscoUser login.  I can see BOTH logins in the databases themselves.

What do I need to do to see the SERVER logins?  And why am I not seeing the linked tables from my
workstation but can from the server?