[dba-SQLServer] Updating Database Compatibility Level

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 02:58:11 CDT 2011

Hello David and Francisco,

About 6 months ago, I was asked to connect to a SQL Server database on a
live working box.

I was able to detach and  attach the db on another server, but I wanted to
connect while it was on the existing server.

I did not know the password for the SQL instance.

At the time, I spent 20 - 30 minutes reading about cracking the password on
SQL server and there were a lot of interesting articles on that topic - in
fact it was not important to crack the database, but the reason I spent the
20 - 30 mins was because the reading was interesting.

It seemed to me that it is easy enough to crack a password in SQL 2005 - but
it also seems that MS changed that for SQL 2008.  Perhaps this is one reason
that the IT audit company raised it.

In David's case, there the server is already 2008, and only the single db
compatability level is 2005, I would love to hear why the audit company
wants it upgraded?  I bet they have no idea why, and when they are informed
that the server is already at 2008 - and so the enhanced security is already
in place - they probably have no real idea why they are hassling you.

There must be a special word for this situation - people that portray
importantance with no substance, or at least with less substance than they
present.  What I hate is that they introduce enough FUD to cause us to
change our compatabiltiy levels from SQL 90 to SQL 100.

Mark