[dba-SQLServer] Views don't sort

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri May 20 12:02:12 CDT 2011

One of the things I am trying to do is use SQL Server to speed up my applications.  The theory is
that I can hand off the heavy lifting to SQL Server and just get back result sets.  Of course this
works in terms of joins and filters in a view, but even though I specify a sort in a view, when the
result set hits the other end (Access in my case) it is unsorted.

Views have the ability to do sorts, so why is the data returned by a view into a third party app, or
even into another view in SQL Server unsorted?  Is there a way to tell sql server to return sorted data?