[dba-SQLServer] Problem Finding Database Engine

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Sun May 15 14:25:44 CDT 2011

Hi Arthur,

I've always connected via TCP/IP.  IIRC, Management Studio is a remote
connection to SQL Server, even on the same PC.  Because only TCP/IP handles
remote requests, that's what must be used to be able to connect with
Management Studio (and probably Visual Studio as well).

Under administrative, go to the Computer Management control panel.  At the
bottom open up Services and Applications.  Then you'll see SQL Server
Configuration Manager.

Now you'll see SQL Server Network Configuration - open that and then open
Protocols for SQL Server.  You'll see the list of protocols - enable TCP/IP
and disable the others.

You may also see SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration.  Open that and then
open Client Protocols.  Again you'll see the list of protocols - enable
TCP/IP and disable the others.

Hope that works!
Dan