[dba-SQLServer] Fwd: Views don't sort

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Tue May 24 05:30:54 CDT 2011

Hello John,

Yes, if you want to update your data, you will either have to write update
statements or jump through some other hoops such as

1) download the subset of records to Jet that you want to update
2) Bind your subset Jet table to a form and make you bound updates, setting
a special column you name as "UpdatedInJet"
3) when all bound updates are complete call an sproc or raw SQL to update
the records in the server that Jet bound forms allowed you to update.

It sounds like a hack, but it may transpire you can code is all in 20 mins.

IMO, you could make you use both strengths with a solution like this.  IE,
SQL does the heavy work and your bound forms in jet do the heavy coding.

Any help?

Mark

Anyway, in case that it helps with the use case, here is a snippit of my
code.  As you can see, I use a previously created qpst to call any sproc (or
any other sql for that matter), with any params I want or need to do.

It means that for Selecting Data, I never ask Jet to do any heavy lifting.

Sub S_Logging(strMsg As String)

Dim qdef As QueryDef
Set qdef = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qpstLogging")

qdef.SQL = "usp_MB_Logging '" & strMsg & "'"
DoCmd.OpenQuery ("qpstLogging")

End Sub