[dba-SQLServer] Syncing Virtual Machines

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 27 08:31:04 CDT 2011

Francisco,

 > Out of curiosity how much do you bill for spending 47 hours for just the right YouTube clip to
post into an email?

LOL.  Google is great.  It took about 30 seconds to find just the right clip, and it was amusing as
well.  I might as well be amused, given all the very un-amusing crap I have to put up with.

 > Or is this part of your non-billable crap?

Uhhh, yup!  ;)  But at least this is amusing non-billable crap.  ;)

 > That's all part of the joy of running your own business.

In fact is is all part of the joy of running my own business.  I love running my own business.  I
love building the machines, I love learning how to do this stuff, I love the satisfaction of having
a SOHO with a 16 core server with 64 gigs of ram and 8 tb of raid 6 storage.  I love that I can run
a sql server with 400 million records being used to fill orders in minutes / hours  as opposed to
the days that it took just a few years ago.  I just love architecting systems in C# to automate this
business.

It used to be that all I did was remote in to other people's systems and do design work.  I had none
of this "overhead" because all I needed to do my job was my workstation and an internet connection.
  I got a new client, which pays me a ton of money, but which required that I do things that I had
no training for - SQL Server admin, SQL Server programming, C# programming etc.

Yep, it increased my workload because there is just no getting around the overhead of these systems.
  And it was almost impossible to forecast what would be required to get into this business.  But I
was underemployed in the Access arena and needed to do something.  this client came to me and asked
if I could do this stuff.  I had never even touched SQL Server but I said "yep, I can do that" and I
did.

I do make plenty of money, way more than I would in most other lines of work and (at least) as much
as I would as an employee doing my same job.  And I get the immense satisfaction of setting my own
schedule and all the other perks of being a sole proprietor.

 > Hahaha, since you talk that you make plenty of $$, then you can afford to just Suck it Up!!

I obviously can afford to just suck it up.  I just choose not to.

;)

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it