[dba-SQLServer] Syncing Virtual Machines

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 27 16:05:09 CDT 2011

 > The core of the problem is that Microsoft does not want people to copy their virtual drives, as
that would allow a person to make numerous copy of a single OS.

Of course they do have this problem, but I can still just copy the disk file and manually recreate
it on another server and be up and running.  Because of machine name collisions and such it takes a
little more than that but still doable.

They have actually made it possible to somehow do a live transfer but that is way over my head or
abilities.  I would actually love to be able to do that, it sure would have made this whole server
upgrade much nicer, but it is just not within my grasp.

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it