[dba-SQLServer] So Far, So Good ...

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Sep 8 06:56:52 CDT 2011

 > (I was basically correct in surmising that running multiple instances on the same hardware can
drastically curtail performance.)

Maybe not.  Nowadays servers have many cores and gigabytes of memory.  SQL Server can be assigned
cores and memory specifically for their use.  Assume that you have a report server that runs some
heavy duty reports that routinely bog down the server.  By creating a server instance just for
reporting, assigning it cores and memory, you have now isolated the effects of running those reports
to that server instance.  Your production server is no longer bogged down with reporting duties.