[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server compression

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Sep 11 07:34:58 CDT 2011

I dropped in 4 more dimms and my GeekBench score is now 15K.  However CPUZ is still saying that my
memory is dual channel instead of quad channel.  I have the correct sockets populated per the
motherboard manual, 4 dimm sockets per cpu sockets.  I sure would like to figure that one out.

In any event I now have 3 processors and 8 gigs assigned to Windows 2008 and 13 processors and 56
gigs assigned to SQL Server.

As I mentioned the other day I moved to page compression for all of my major databases and while I
do not know how it all works exactly but I now have enough memory to have the two databases that I
normally pull data from for orders fit entirely into memory.  One database is 35 gigs and the other
is 15 gigs.  Supposedly the data is compressed and stored on disk.  Then it is loaded off od disk
and stored in memory compressed.  At the instant that it is used, the data is uncompressed and any
resulting data recompressed (if storing) back into memory and from there back to disk.  From my
readings this requires more cpu power but less memory and less disk I/O.

In my case I link these two databases by a KP/FK and pull sets of data which is written back out to
a different (order) order database.  The business is very very different with cheap powerful hardware.

Thank you AMD.