[dba-SQLServer] MySQL

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Sep 17 18:24:13 CDT 2011

Today I built a Windows XP SP3 VM (x32) and installed MySQL Community Edition.  I installed all the
prereqs, the database and the ODBC connector.  The .Net connector refused to install due to missing
.net 2.0 or 4.0.

I also installed the workbench.

It looks very foreign.  It is very foreign.  This is the part of new technology I hate, that first
look - "I don't recognize a thing" feeling.

Being a vm, I have a boot drive and a data drive.  The boot is 30 gigs and the data is 60 gigs.
Let's hope that is enough, though one would think so for small databases.

I am trying to learn enough to assist a client with evaluating MySQL for replacing his Access MDB
data store.

For now I have to figure out how to create a database.  Is it the same concept as SQL Server?  A
file or set of files where tables, indexes, views etc are stored?  I assumed there would be some
visual designer that would allow me to create the db, then tables etc.  It looks like that stuff is
in "SQL Development".

This thing looks pretty nice, but very different on the surface.