[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server security

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Sep 18 06:29:56 CDT 2011

Jim,

My point is that I have not established port forwarding at the router so while the port is there to
probe, it is not routed on to any machine, and therefore my SQL Server will not answer up.  The SQL
Server only answers up on it's specific 5.x.x.x IP address which is assigned to specific Hamachi
networks belonging to me.  Thus the hacker needs to have physical access to one of the handful of
machines in the world which have Hamachi installed, and have been set up to belong to my networks.

Thanks for pointing out this OpenVPN though.  I am always looking for alternatives.  In particular
the Wikipedia article discusses routers running Tomato or DD-Wrt which opens up the alternative of
having my end handled by my router, though I do not currently have a router able to run those
firmware.  But I could go get one.

I have to say that Hamachi has really built out their administrative software nicely, with a web
based interface allowing me to set up various kinds of networks - hub and spoke etc.  It allows me
to assign and unassign machines to the created networks and create new networks.  Really quite nice.

I imagine if I go to something like this I am back on my own doing that stuff.  OTOH it is probably
more secure since there is no central server to hack to worm your way into my networks.